Michael R. Wasielewski
Clare Hamilton Hall Professor of Chemistry
Director, Center for Light Energy Activated Redox Processes (LEAP); Executive Director, Institute for Sustainability and Energy at Northwestern (ISEN); Executive Director, Solar Fuels Institute
Prof. Wasielewski’s research centers on light-driven charge transfer and transport in molecules and materials, photosynthesis, nanoscale materials for solar energy conversion, spin dynamics of multi-spin molecules, molecular materials for optoelectronics and spintronics, and time-resolved optical and electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy.
Long-lived Charge Carrier Generation in Ordered Films of a Covalent Perylenediimide-Diketopyrrolopyrrole-Perylenediimide Molecule, P. E. Hartnett, S. M. Dyar, E. A. Margulies, L. E. Shoer, A. W. Cook, S. W. Eaton, T. J. Marks, and M. R. Wasielewski, Chem. Sci. 6, 402-411 (2015).
Photochemical Nitrogen Conversion to Ammonia in Ambient Conditions with FeMoS-Chalcogels, A. Banerjee, B. D. Yuhas, E. A. Margulies, Y. Shim, M. R. Wasielewski, and M. G. Kanatzidis, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 137, 2030-2034 (2015).
Photoinduced Hole Injection into a Self-assembled Pi-Extended G-quadruplex, Y.-L. Wu K. E. Brown, D. M. Gardner, S. M. Dyar, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 137, 3981-3990 (2015).
Charge Transport Across DNA-based Three-Way Junctions, R. M. Young, A. P. N. Singh, A. K. Thazhathveetil, V. Y. Cho, Y. Zhang, N. Renaud, F. C. Grozema, D. N. Beratan, M. A. Ratner, G. C. Schatz, Y. A. Berlin, F. D. Lewis, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 137, 5113-5122 (2015).
Sub-Picosecond Singlet Exciton Fission in Cyano-Substituted Diaryltetracenes, E. A. Margulies, Y.-L. Wu, P. Gawel, S. A. Miller, L. E. Shoer, R. D. Schaller, F. Diederich, and M. R. Wasielewski, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 54, 8679-8683 (2015).
Fast Photo-driven Electron Spin Coherence Transfer: The Effect of Electron-Nuclear Hyperfine Coupling on Coherence Dephasing, M. D. Krzyaniak, L. Kobr, B. K. Rugg, B. T. Phelan, E. A. Margulies, J. N. Nelson, R. M. Young, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Mater. Chem. C 3, 7962-7967 (2015).
Charge and Spin Transport in an Organic Molecular Square, Y. Wu, S. K. Mohan Nalluri, R. M. Young, M. D. Krzyaniak, E. A. Margulies, J. F. Stoddart, and M. R. Wasielewski, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 54, 11971-11977 (2015).
Ultrafast Photoinduced Symmetry Breaking Charge Separation and Electron Sharing in Perylenediimide Molecular Triangles, Y. Wu, M. Frasconi, R. M. Young, S. T. Schneebeli, P. Spenst, D. M. Gardner, F. Würthner, J. F. Stoddart, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 137, 13236-13239 (2015).
Strongly Oxidizing Perylene-3,4-dicarboximides for Use in Water Oxidation Photoelectrochemical Cells, R. J. Lindquist, B. T. Phelan, A. Reynal, E. A. Margulies, L. E. Shoer, J. R. Durrant, and M. R. Wasielewski, J. Mater. Chem. A 4, 2880-2893 (2016).
Direct Observation of the Hole Carriers in DNA Photoinduced Charge Transport, M. A. Harris, A. K. Mishra, R. M. Young, K. E. Brown, M. R. Wasielewski, and F. D. Lewis, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 138, 5491-5494 (2016).
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2016
- American Institute of Chemists, Chemical Pioneer Award, 2016
- Honda-Fujishima Lectureship Award, Japanese Photochemistry Association, 2015
- Swiss Chemical Society Lectureship, 2015
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, 2014
- Royal Society of Chemistry Environment Award, 2013
- Humboldt Research Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 2013
- Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award, American Chemical Society, 2012
- R. Stephen Berry Lecturer, Telluride Science Center, 2010
- Frontiers of Chemistry Lecturer, Case Western Reserve University, 2010
- Clare Hamilton Hall Endowed Chair, Northwestern University, 2010
- Hutchison Lecturer, University of Rochester, 2009
- Kaufman Lecturer, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
- The Porter Medal for Photochemistry, 2008
- Eminent Scholar Lecturer, University of Arizona, 2007
- James Flack Norris Award in Physical Organic Chemistry, American Chemical Society, 2006
- Closs Lecturer, University of Chicago, 2005
- I-APS Photochemistry Research Award, Inter-American Photochemical Society, 2004
- Pederson Lecturer, Dupont, Inc., 2003
- Weissberger-Williams Lecturer, Eastman Kodak Company, 2001
- W. Heinlen Hall Lecturer, Bowling Green State University, 1999
- R&D 100 Award (sponsored by R&D Magazine) for work in photorefractivity, 1996
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1995
- Holland Research School for Molecular Chemistry Lecturer, 1995
- R&D 100 Award (sponsored by R&D Magazine) for work in molecular switches, 1993
- Argonne Pacesetter Award, 1993
- W. E. Heraeus Foundation Fellow, University of Stuttgart, 1992
- Inaugural Lecturer, Center for Photomolecular Sciences, Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine, London, 1991
- Nodzu Memorial Lecturer, Kyoto University, 1991
- University of Chicago Award for Distinguished Performance at Argonne National Laboratory, 1989
- Elizabeth R. Norton Prize for Excellence in Research in Chemistry at the University of Chicago, 1975
- Fannie and John Hertz Foundation Fellow, 1972 1974
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1971