SonBinh T. Nguyen
Ph.D.: California Institute of Technology (with Professors Robert H. Grubbs and Nathan S. Lewis) 1995
- Ryan 2015
- Program Assistant: Ruth Barrera
Professor of Teaching Excellence
Our research encompasses three divisions in chemical science: inorganic/organometallic chemistry, organic synthesis, and polymer science. We are also interested in environmental friendly catalysis and biomaterials.
“(Salen)Chromium(III)/DMAP: An Efficient Catalyst System for the Selective Synthesis of 5-Substituted Oxazolidinones from Carbon Dioxide and Aziridines” Miller, A. W.; Nguyen, S. T. Org. Lett. 2004, 6, 2301-2304.
“Thermal, Optical, and Electrochromic Properties of Cross-Linked Poly((2-terthiophenyl)norbornene”Stepp, B. R.; Nguyen, S. T. Macromolecules 2004, 37, 8222-8229.
“The Mechanism of Aluminum-Catalyzed MSPV Reduction of Carbonyls to Alcohols” Cohen, R.; Graves, C. R.; Nguyen, S. T.; Martin, J. M. L., Ratner, M. A. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 14796-14803.
“Axial Ligand Effects: Utilization of Chiral Sulfoxide Additives for the Induction of Asymmetry in (Salen)Ru(II) Olefin Cyclopropanation Catalysts” Miller, J. A.; Gross, B. A.; Zhuravel, M. A.; Jin, W.; Nguyen, S. T. Angew. Chem., Intl. Ed. Engl. 2005, 44, 3885-3889.
“DNA-Block Copolymer Conjugates As Electrochemical Probes for the Detection of DNA” Gibbs, J. M.; Park, S. J.; Anderson, D. R.; Watson, K. J.; Mirkin, C. A.; Nguyen, S. T. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127, 1170-1178.
“Alternating Copolymerization of CO2 and Propylene Oxide Catalyzed by CoIII(Salen)/Lewis base”Paddock, R. L.; Nguyen, S. T. Macromolecules 2005, 38, 6251-6253.
“High-density Doxorubicin-conjugated Polymeric Nanoparticles via Ring-opening Metathesis Polymerization” Bertin, P. A.; Smith, D.; Nguyen, S. T. Chem. Commun., 2005, 3793-3795.
- Appointed McCormick Professor of Teaching Excellence (2005)
- CAURS Award for Outstanding Support of Undergraduate Research (2005)
- ASG Faculty/Administrator Honor Roll (2005, 2004, and 2003)
- Appointed Dow Research Professor (2004)
- Weinberg Award for Distnguished Teaching (2003 and 2002)
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow (2001)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2000)
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (2000)
- Union Carbide Innovation Recognition Award (1999)
- David and Lucille Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering (1997)