Tobin J. Marks
Vladimir N. Ipatieff Professor of Catalytic Chemistry and Chemical and Biological Engineering
Materials Science and Engineering
Among the themes of our research are synthetic organo-f-element and early-transition metal organometallic chemistry, polymer chemistry, materials chemistry, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis, molecule-based photonic materials, superconductivity, metal-organic chemical vapor deposition, and biological aspects of transition metal chemistry.
Irwin, M.D.; Buchholz, D.B.; Hains, A.W.; Chang, R.P.H.; Marks, T.J. p-Type Semiconducting Nickel Oxide as an Efficiency-Enhancing Anode Interfacial Layer in Polymer Bulk-Heterojuction Solar Cells, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci, 2008, 105, 2783-2787.
Rivnay, J.; Jimison, L.H.; Toney, M.F.; Noriega, R.; Marks, T.J.; Facchetti, A.; Salleo, A. Transport Anisotropy in Solution-Processed Molecular Semiconductor Thin Films with Engineered In-Plane Grain Boundaries, Nature Materials, 2009, 8, 952-958.
Hains, A.W.; Ramanan, C.; Irwin, M.D.; Liu, J.; Wasielewski, M.R.; Marks, T.J. Designed Bithiophene-Based Interfacial Layer for High-Efficiency Bulk-Heterojunction Organic Photovoltaic Cells. Importance of Interfacial Energy Level Matching, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2010, 2, 175-185.
Kim, M.-G.; Kim, H.S.; Ha, Y.-G.; He, J.; Kanatzidis, M.; Facchetti, A.; Marks, T. High-Performance Solution-Processed Amorphous Zinc-Indium-Tin-Oxide Thin-Film Transistors, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 10352-10364.
Liu, J.; Buchholz, D.B.; Chang, R.P.H.; Facchetti, A.; Marks, T.J. High-Performance Flexible Transparent Thin Film Transistors Using a Hybrid Gate Dielectric and an Amorphous Zinc Indium Tin Oxide Channel,Advanced Materials, 2010, 22, 2333-2337.
Weiss, C.J.; Marks, T.J. Organozirconium Complexes as Catalysts for Markovnikov-Selective Intermolecular Hydrothiolation of Terminal Alkynes Reaction Scope and Mechanism, J. Am. Chem. Soc, 2010, 132, 10533-10546.
Liu, J.; Buchholz, D.B.; Chang, R.P.H.; Facchetti, A.; Marks, T.J. All-Amorphous-Oxide Flexible Transparent Thin Film Transistors, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 11934-11942.
Weiss, C.J.; Marks, T.J. Organo-f-Element Catalysts for Efficient and Highly Selective Hydroalkoxylation and Hydrothiolation, Dalton Trans. Perspective, 2010, 39, 6576-6588.
Motiei, L.; Yao, Y.; Choudhury, J.; Marks, T.J.; van der Boom, M.E.; Facchetti, A. Self-Propagating Molecular Assemblies as Interlayers for Efficient Inverted Bulk-Heterojunction Solar Cells, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 12528-12530.
Major Awards (ACS = American Chemical Society)
- U.S. National Medal of Science (highest scientific honor of the United States Government)
- American Chemical Society Joseph Priestley Medal (highest honor of the American Chemical Society)
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Prize in the Chemical Sciences (the second award bestowed; first in catalysis)
- Principe de Asturias Prize for Technical and Scientific Research (the Spanish Nobel Prize)
- U.S. National Academy of Sciences Award in the Chemical Sciences
- Materials Research Society Von Hippel Award (the highest honor of the Materials Research Society)
- Harvey Prize in Science and Technology, Harvey Foundation, Israel
- Karl Ziegler Prize, Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker
- ACS Medals (8) : Willard Gibbs, Linus Pauling, F. Albert Cotton, Theodore Richards, William Nichols, John Bailar, Harry Mosher, Alan McDiarmid
- ACS National Awards (6) for: Organometallic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Chemistry of Materials, Somorjai in Creative Catalysis, Cope Scholar in Organic Chemistry, Distinguished Inorganic Chemistry Service
- Eminent Scientist Award, ACS Undergraduate Program
- American Institute of Chemists Gold Medal (highest honor of the American Institute of Chemists)
- Royal Society of Chemistry (UK), Centenary, William Frankland, Geoffrey Wilkinson, and Materials for Industry Medals/Awards
- Chinese Academy of Sciences President’s International Distinguished Scientist Award (Albert Einstein Award)
- Honorary Professor, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics
- Italian Chemical Society: Paolo Chini and Luigi Sacconi Medals
- North American Catalysis Society: Robert Burwell and Herman Pines Awards in Catalysis
- Schulich Prize, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology
- Wilhelm Manchot Prize, Technical U. of Munich
- Wang Yu Award, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry (the Premier Organic Chemistry Institute in Asia)
- U.S. National Academy of Sciences
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Leopoldina, German National Academy of Natural Sciences
- U.S. National Academy of Engineering
- Foreign Member, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (Italian National Academy of Sciences)
- Foreign Member, European Academy of Sciences
- Foreign Member, Indian National Academy of Sciences
- U.S. National Academy of Inventors
- Fellow: ACS, Royal Society of Chemistry UK, Materials Research Society, Chemical Research Society of India
- Honorary Fellow, Israel Chemical Society
- Honorary Foreign Fellow, Chinese Chemical Society;
- Lifetime Fellow, American Institute of Chemists
Honorary Degrees, Doctor of Science Honoris Causa
Hong Kong U. of Science and Technology, 2011; U. of South Carolina, 2011; The Ohio State U. 2012; Technical U. of Munich, 2016
1974 Alfred P. Sloan Fellow; 1975 Camille and Henry Dreyfus Teacher Scholar; 1977 DuPont Young Faculty Fellow; 1978 Innovation Recognition Award, Union Carbide Corp.; 1979 Fresenius Pure and Applied Chemistry Award; 1984 ACS Doolittle Award in Polymeric Materials Science and Engineering; 1984 Sobral Medal, Portuguese Chemical Society; 1986 1987 Mack Awardee and Lecturer, Ohio State U.; 1989-1990 Guggenheim Fellow; 1998 Phillips Award, U. of Pittsburgh; 2003 Evans Medal, Ohio State U.; 2005 U. of Maryland Alumni Hall of Fame; 2005 Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry UK; 2009 Honorary Fellow, Chemical Research Society of India; 2009 Fellow, Materials Research Society; 2009 Taylor Award in Materials Research, Penn. State U.; 2010 Distinguished Affiliated Professor Award, Technical U. of Munich; 2010 Centennial Medal, U. of Oviedo (Spain); 2011 Member, Indian Academy of Sciences; 2012 Distinguished Alumni Award and Circle of Discovery, U. of Maryland;. 2013 Honorary Member, Israel Chemical Society; 2013 MacDiarmid Medal, U. of Pennsylvania; 2016 Member, U.S. National Academy of Inventors; 2016 Tannas Award in Materials Science, U. of California, Los Angeles; 2017 Johnson Award in Materials Science, Cornell University; 2018, 2020 Clarivate Analytics Citation Laureate.
Named Lectureships and Visiting Professorships
Distinguished Visiting Lecturer, U. of Texas at Austin, 1980; Presidential Lecturer, Tech. U. of Berlin, 1980; Distinguished Visiting Professor, U. of Western Ontario, 1981; Lemieux Lecturer, U. of Ottawa 1984; Reilly Lecturer, U. of Notre Dame 1984-1985; Distinguished Visiting Lecturer, U¬¬. of Hawaii 1986; Asher Visiting Lecturer, Technion, Israel 1986; SACS Lecturer, U. of South Carolina 1986; Phi Lambda Upsilon Lecturer, U. of Nebraska 1986-1987; Boomer Lecturer, U. of Alberta 1987; Merck-Frosst Lecturer, U. of British Columbia 1987; Tables Rondes Roussel-Uclaf Lecturer 1987; Kolthoff Lecturer, U. of Minnesota 1988; ESSO Lecturer, U. of Toronto 1988; Frontiers in Chemistry Lecturer, Texas A&M U.1988; Graduiertenkolleg Lecturer, Technical U./Free U. of Berlin 1989; Roberts Lecturer, Grinnell College 1990; U. Lecturer, Boston College 1990; Dow Lecturer, Michigan State U. 1990; RIKEN Frontier Research Program Visiting Scientist (Japan) 1991; Gordon Lecturer, U. of Toronto 1992; National Science Council of Taiwan Lecturer 1992; Distinguished Visiting Lecturer, U. of Florida 1992; Karcher Lecturer, U. of Oklahoma 1993; Hill Lecturer, Duke U. 1993; Purves Lecturer, McGill U. 1993; ICI Distinguished Lecturer, U. of Calgary 1993; W.R. Grace Lecturer, U. of Maryland 1994; E.F. Smith Lecturer, U. of Pennsylvania 1994; Japan Society of Organic Chemistry Lectureship 1994; Stieglitz Lecturer, U. of Chicago - Chicago ACS Section 1994; Gooch-Stephens Lecturer, Baylor U. 1995; Lind Lecturer, U. of Tennessee - Oak Ridge Nat. Lab. 1995; Fishel Lecturer, Vanderbilt U. 1995; Musher Lecturer, Hebrew U. of Jerusalem 1996; H.C. Brown Lecturer, Purdue U. 1996; Xerox of Canada Distinguished Lecturer (U. of British Columbia; Victoria U.) 1996; Kilpatrick Lecturer, Illinois Institute of Technology 1996; Siedle Lecturer, Indiana U. 1997; Seaborg Lecturer, U. of California Berkeley 1998; Closs Lecturer, U. of Chicago 1998; Abbott Lecturer, U. of North Dakota 1999; Marcus Lecturer, Washington U. 1999; Convention Intercantonale Romande Lecturer, Switzerland 1999; McElvain Lecturer, U. of Wisconsin 2000; Renowned International Visiting Scholar, Hong Kong Polytechnical U. 2001; Bigeleisen Lecturer, SUNY Stony Brook 2002; A.D. Little Lecturer, MIT 2003; Walton Lecturer, Purdue U. 2003; Milkovich Lecturer, U. of Akron 2003; H.B. Jonassen Lecturer, Tulane U. 2004; U. Pierre et Marie Curie Institut Universitaire de France Professor 2005; Alumni Distinguished Lecturer, Michigan State U. 2005; H.M. Friedman Lecturer, Rutgers U. 2005; Otto M. Smith Lecturer, Oklahoma State U. 2005; Abbott Lecturer, Montana State U. 2005; Gomberg Lecturer, U. of Michigan 2006; Jortner Lecturer, Tel Aviv U. 2006; Boulder Scientific Lecturer, Colorado State U. 2007; Davis Lecturer, U. of South Carolina 2008; Butler Lecturer, U. of Florida 2008; Whelan Lecturer, U. of Texas El Paso 2008; MacLean Lecturer, McMaster U. 2008; Crano Lecturer, U. of Akron 2008; Frontiers in Chemistry Lecturer, Wayne State U. 2009; Dawson Lecturer, U. of Kentucky 2009; Chevron-Phillips Lecturer, Virginia Tech. 2009; Director’s Distinguished Lecturer, U.S. National Science Foundation 2009; Su Lecturer, U. of Rochester 2009; First International Materials Science Lecturer, International Centre for Materials Science, 2009 (JNC Bangalore); First Semana de la Ciencia y la Innovation Plenary Lecturer, Mexico City 2009; Kilpatrick Lecturer, Illinois Institute of Technology 2010; Abelson Lecturer, Washington State U. 2010; Second Semana de la Ciencia y la Innovation Plenary Lecturer, Mexico City 2010; Jones Lecturer, Queens U. (Ontario) 2010; Schaeffer Lecturer, U. of New Mexico 2010; Distinguished Visiting Professor, Weizmann Institute of Science, 2011; Shore Lecturer, Ohio State U. 2011; G. F. Lipscomb Lecturer, U. of South Carolina 2011; Distinguished International Lecturer, Institute for Advanced Study, Hong Kong U. of Science and Technology 2011; Karcher-Barton Lecturer, U. of Oklahoma 2012; Johnson Lecturer, Stanford U. 2012; Inaugural 3MET Lecturer, U. of Kaiserslautern 2012; Bayer Lecturer, Cornell U. 2013; Bayer Lecturer, U. of Pittsburgh 2013; Rausch Lecturer, U. of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2014; Xingda Lecturer, Peking U., 2014; Frontiers in Molecular Sciences Lecturer/Professor, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2014; Distinguished Clean Energy Lecturer, U. of Washington, 2014;King Lecturer, U. of Georgia, 2014; Texas Distinguished Faculty Lectureship, U. of Texas, Austin, 2015;Bergman Lecturer, U. of California, Berkeley, 2015; Eyring Lecturer, Arizona State U., 2015;Annual Center for Plastic Electronics Lecturer, Imperial College London, 2015. Stone Lecturer, U. of Bristol, 2015; ECS Distinguished Faculty Lecturer, U. of Texas Dallas, 2016 Science at the Cutting Edge Lecturer, Michigan State U., 2016; McElvain Academic Lecturer, U. of Wisconsin Madison, 2016; Zhang Dayu Lecturer, Chinese Academy of Sciences Institute of Chemical Physics, 2016; Parry Lecture, U. of Utah, 2017; Johnson Lecturer in Materials Science, Cornell U., 2017; Inaugural Sigma-Aldrich Lecturer in Materials Chemistry, U. of California Santa Barbara, 2017; Dow Lecturer, Stanford U., 2018; Arduengo Lecturer, U. of Alabama, 2018; COPE Distinguished Lecturer, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2018; Inaugural Sigma-Aldrich Lecturer in Materials Chemistry, U. California Santa Barbara, 2018; Annual Grubbs Lecturer, Gwangju Inst. Sci. and Tech., 2018; Advanced Materials Sparkling Lecture, Nanjing Inst. of Tech., 2019; Lee Memorial Lectures, University of Chicago, 2020; McGrath Memorial Lecture, International Advances in Polyolefins Symposium, 2022.
Peer-Reviewed Publications, 1604; ISI h-index = 163 on 109,000 citations; Google Scholar h-index = 184 and i10-index = on 1120442,254 citations
Issued US Patents, 275