Business Office Staff
For Business Office Financial and Accounting Assistant contact information.
- iBuy: Northwestern’s online marketplace of preferred vendors. Requires the Finance, Facilities, and Research Administration Systems Express Access Form. Items purchased on iBuyNU are referred to as catalog requisitions. iBuy should be used before Chemistry Online Purchase System. When you are buying from a company whose catalog is not on iBuyNU, it is called a non-catalog requisition and you will use them Chemistry Online Purchase Request System.
- Chemistry Online Purchase Request System: Requires Chemistry online PO systems form. Chemistry’s internal system for placing orders with non-iBuy vendors when items needed cannot be found in iBuy.
- Request Cost Allocated Across Multiple Projects: This form will need to be submitted each time you are placing an order that is being allocated across multiple sponsored projects at the time the order is initiated.
- myHRlearn (University) Information and Training Guides on Northwestern Financial Systems.
- NUPortal: The dashboard used to access financial system applications.
- NUFinancials: Northwestern’s main financial management information system used for procurement, expenses, and payments.
- Northwestern Purchasing Resource Services (University Services): Information and guidelines on purchasing at Northwestern.
Graduate students, Post-Docs, faculty, and staff will be given access to iBuyNU, Northwestern's online shopping catalog, should they need to purchase items for research or academic use. Please see the access form below.
All purchases are officially made by the Business Office staff. Students, staff, faculty, and post-docs can only request a purchase through iBuyNU or the Chemistry Online Purchase System and are not authorized to order directly from the company.
- Finance, Facilities, and Research Administration Systems Express Access Form (iBuy & Expense Reports)
- Introduction to iBuyNU Interface Reference
- Assigning a Cart for the First Time: Carts should be assigned to Accounting Assistant based on pdf of assigned research groups.
- Chemistry Online PO System Access Form (submit to respective Accounting Assistant)
- Chemistry PO system problems should be directed to Chris Moores exclusively. Keep in mind it may be a problem the Business Office is already addressing.
- Purchasing Decision Documentation (University Services) - The form is used for all purchases of $10,000 or more using sponsored funds, or purchases of $25,000 or more using non-sponsored funds. It is accessed using your netID and password.
- NU PO Terms & Conditions (University Services)
- Ordering: Orders are not faxed by our office, but rather they are automatically faxed by Purchasing upon approval of the order. After 24 HOURS, if you are concerned that the vendor has not received the fax, contact your respective Accounting Assistant to get your purchase order number. You can then call the vendor to check if they have received the order by referencing the purchase order number. If they have not received it, verify the vendor’s fax number and email your respective Accounting Assistant to let them know. Please keep in mind that large dollar orders may take longer than 24 hours as they require multiple levels of approval, some outside of this office.
- Order Lab Gas & Dry Ice (University Services) Please contact Aaron Jones to verify chart string before proceeding with a request for lab gas and/or dry ice.
- Add New Vendor W-9 for Vendor (IRS) Contact respective Accounting Assistant for assistance or send vendor completed form to Accounting Assistant.
- Add New Vendor COI Certification Statement (Financial Operations) Completed forms should be submitted to respective AA with accompanying vendor W-9 if obtained.
- Visitor Expense Report (University) Non-employees of the university, i.e. guests and students who are not paid by the university, should fill out a visitors expense report. This pdf must be generated on an individual basis because of the unique voucher number associated with payment. Please complete and submit paperwork with original receipts to respective Accounting Assistant
- Tax Exempt Status Information (University Services)
- Illinois Tax Exempt One-Time-Use Letter Complete form and then bring to Chris Moores or Aaron Jones in the Business Office for signature.
- Fisher Stockroom Order - Job Aid
Business Office Contact for Temporary Employees and Work Study: Lynn Mandenberg
- Time & Leave Entry: Kronos Java | Non-Java (Human Resources)
- Time & Leave Approval
- Federal W-4 Submit directly to payroll.
- Illinois W-4 Submit directly to payroll.
- Tax Withholding Tables (Human Resources)
- E-Verify/I-9 (Human Resources)
- Personal Data Form (Human Resources)
- Direct Deposit Application (Human Resources)
- Work-Study Authorization (Financial Aid)
- Work-Study Program (Financial Aid)
Business Office Contacts: Lynn Mandenberg
Employees of the university, i.e. anyone who is paid regularly by the university, are able to enter their own expense reports for reimbursement using the NUFinancials System. Please see the Business Office contacts above to get access to the NUFinancials System and for further details on how to enter expense reports.
All receipts must be original and they must be itemized in order to be reimbursed. You should process your reimbursement within 30 days of travel, but definitely before 90 days have passed since your date of return. If you are missing proper receipts, processing a reimbursement more than 90 days from your last date of travel, or have any other policy exception, please fill out the appropriate form below explaining the reason why. Include this form in your expense report.
Travel and Entertainment Policies
Finance, Facilities, and Research Administration Systems Express Access Form
For iBuy shopper access and Expense Entry access:
Completing the form: Please print the Finance, Facilities, and Research Administration Systems Express Access Form. Complete the following sections on page one.
- Applicant Information Section (Top of Page 1) – Date, NetID, Name, EMPLID (I.D.# on WildCARD), Title, NU Email, Department, Work Phone
- NUFinancials – Data Entry and Inquiry Section (Page 1) – Check the box for Expense Entry and iBuyNU shopper
- Required Signatures (Bottom of Page 1) – Sign and date on the applicant signature line.
- Page 2 is not required for this access.
PI signature is not required on this form. Once the form has been completed, return it to Aaron Jones in the Business Office. The form should be placed in Aaron’s inbox outside of K136 (inside the Business Office suite). Aaron will sign as the Department Head and forward the completed form to WCAS Administration and Financial Operations IT for processing. Once access has been granted, you will receive an email from email@example.com with a summary of your access to the system. At that point, you are free to login to the NU Portal following the instructions for Logging into iBuy and change password provided under Purchasing.
For other access requests:
If you are trying to gain access other than expense entry and iBuyNU shopper, please follow the job aid link below for further instruction or contact Aaron Jones for further information
Hiring Guide: Non-Student Temp-Hire, "Zero Years", and Interns
Steps to Non-Student Temp-Hire: “Zero Years” & Interns
For Non-Student Temp-Hire:
Information needed from temp employee: Find out when they will arrive and whether the individual is an undergraduate or graduate student.
Information needed from PI: The hourly pay rate (minimum rate $13.00/hr) and relevant chartstring (note – ask group RA if the account temp account code is open on that chartstring).
This information should be sent to Lynn Mandenberg to begin the process of hiring.
- Full name:
- Date of hire:
- Name of person who will approve time cards via email:
Email details to Lynn approximately two months prior to arrival, including chartstring and pay rate. Note - new temps cannot be processed after the second week of August.
Step 1: Lynn will send a boilerplate email to the potential employee, cc’ing the PA, to request the required paperwork: Personal Data Form, DCSF, W-4, I-9 instructions etc. If the potential employee doesn’t respond in a timely manner, the PA will follow up.
Step 2: Background check
After Lynn has processed the paperwork and HR has begun processing, the student will receive an email from HireRight and must initiate the background check within three business days before the link expires. The PA will not be cc’ed on this email, as the email is automated, but the PA should follow up at some point with the temp hire to emphasize they must be on the lookout for the email from HireRight, as the background check will need to clear before NetID is issued.
Step 3: NetID
Although the hire will be getting an automated email asking them to activate their NetID, the PA should also follow up to ensure this has been done (the NetID is key to completing final steps – for instance, setting up their direct deposit and completing the online RCR course, required for any student getting paid on a grant.)
For “Zero Years” Hire:
“Zero Years” are new graduate students who are going to be working the summer prior to becoming a full-time student.
The process is the same as above, but note the following stipulations:
- The VISA for non-US citizens doesn’t allow them to work. For students working in your lab for the summer quarter, they will need to register for summer classes and the PI will pay a full quarter of tuition.
- The student must provide proof of insurance prior to working in the lab.
- The hourly rate of pay is $16.11 per hour.
- August 14th will be the cut off for hiring an incoming graduate student as they begin their graduate student tenure on 09/01/20.
- No overtime is allowed on federal grants; do NOT allow them to work more than 40 hours per week. Overtime will be charged to the PI’s discretionary account.
- The student will be funded from account code 60120 and if paid from a grant it must either have temp workers budgeted or will have to have the appropriate account code opened.
- Students cannot be hired through centers.
- After the student has been hired, a “manager” will need to approve the time cards of the temp every two weeks. This doesn’t have to be the PI – a supervisor or lab mentor is sufficient. This bi-weekly approval can either be an email from the PI or, if set up beforehand and agreed upon by the PI, an approval email from the group assistant.
The Departmental Assistant will coordinate the process of internship approvals with the business office. Note – interns may not work more than 20 hours per week. The following information for the potential intern should be sent to Carissa:
- Full name:
- Email address:
- Date of internship:
The Departmental Assistant will gather the appropriate forms from the intern to initiate a background check (required) and submit for a NetID.